Search Engine Optimization is without a doubt one of the most wonderful– and daunting– tools in a small business owner’s marketing toolkit. You already know what it is, and why you should care. It’s important to remember that while not everyone does SEO well, everyone should be doing it. Working with an expert is one of the best ways to utilize your SEO to the fullest extent, but it’s perfectly okay to learn about SEO on your own. Finding out more about what makes the internet, your website, and search engines tick is vital to maximizing your business’ success.
Below are some of the best resources around for learning more about SEO and the inner workings of Google.
- Moz Beginners Guide to SEO
- Search Engine Land’s Guide to SEO
- Local SEO Guide — How to rank your local business
- Backlinko Link Building Guide — 2017
- The Art of SEO — Mastering Search Engine Optimization (book)
- The Ultimate Guide to Link Building (book)
Once you’ve covered and read about the basics (ahem, see above), you’re ready to start implementing these tactics for your business. But, what’s the goal? The ultimate goal of SEO is to get Google and other search engines to love your website and online presence, including your social media. There are many moving parts that accompany working within the confines of SEO, and below are a few first steps that will get you started.
- Register with Google Search Console.
- Register with Bing Webmaster Tools.
- Claim or create a Google My Business listing.
- Conduct keyword research.
- Organize keywords by page.
- Target long-tail keywords.
- Test your keywords with PPC.
- Optimize your page titles.
- Optimize your meta descriptions.
- Request links from business partners.
Wondering more about how you can enhance your business online and move your website up in rankings? SCHEDULE YOUR FREE CONSULTATION!